October 2 First Friday: First Friday of Fall Edition
The Downtown Dayton Partnership (DDP) will welcome the first official First Friday of Fall with special events, art, dining, and entertainment options taking place at downtown Dayton retailers, restaurants, galleries, and pubs on Friday, Oct. 2 beginning at 5 p.m.
October’s First Friday will also be filled with local art, including a collaboration between The Contemporary and The League of Women Voters to register voters before the Oct. 5 deadline, the Edward A. Dixon Gallery will be open until 6 p.m. in its new Talbott Tower location, and a night of art and exhibit openings at First Fridays at Front Street Galleries.
Another option for a First Friday destination is the pedestrian promenade in the Oregon District, Out on Fifth. Running Fridays to Sundays every weekend through October, Fifth Street turns into a pedestrian-only area, featuring expanded outdoor dining areas, retail sales, entertainment, and other special activities. Find more information here.
The health and safety of staff and patrons is a top priority for downtown businesses and organizations as they are now welcoming guests either for socially-distanced dining and shopping indoors or at the extended patio areas throughout downtown Dayton. Physical distancing continues to remain a key in keeping our communities safe, and we remind guests of the mandatory mask order in place across Dayton and the state. Masks must be worn indoors, and outdoors when the suggested 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained.
For an entire listing of ways you can support the local, small businesses that make up the heart of downtown Dayton, including downtown Dayton dining options -- with expanded patio and indoor social-distanced seating -- retail hours and operations, and things to do in downtown Dayton, visit the DDP’s OPEN* webpage at www.downtowndayton.org/open.
Art, Dance, Music and Film
- Swerk in the Street with Space Three, special class in the Oregon District: Join Space Three for a SWERK class -- a cardio dance fitness class -- in the Oregon District. This class is back by popular demand and will start at 5:30 p.m. and run approximately 1 hour. After the class, enjoy a complimentary drink from The Trolley Stop, which is included in your ticket price. Tickets are $20. Class size is limited to 30 spots. Find updates on Space Three’s Facebook page.
- The Contemporary Dayton, 120 N. Jefferson St.: The Contemporary Dayton presents the world of Nari Ward’s in “We The People.” With this nearly 60-foot-wide wall installation, Ward recreates the words that start the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution and seeks to explore how this living document remains vital as Americans prepare to participate in one of the most crucial elections of our lifetime.
- Additionally, The Co will collaborate with the League of Women Voters in the Greater Dayton Area, by turning the gallery into a voter registration center and delivering every newly registered voter’s documents to the Montgomery County Board of Elections on a daily basis. Registration will include the ability to receive mail-in ballots.
- Dayton Art Institute, 456 Belmonte Park N.: Start your First Friday at the museum with its most recent exhibit Archiving Eden, open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday. Also find the exhibit In the Company of Friends – Kettering and Patterson Legacies.
- Dayton Society of Artists continues to show its juried exhibition of lens-based work in ILLUMINATE. The call for art was open to Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana artists, and is sponsored by FotoFocus. Click here to book an Appointment to see the Exhibition or calling 937-228-4532. You can also visit the DSA for Margie McCullough's Color Xerox Transfers.
- Dana L. Wiley Gallery, 1001 E. Second St. (Front Street Galleries): Into the Woods opening reception. Please join us in the gallery on October 2nd at 7 p.m. for the Opening Reception of Into the Woods featuring the artwork of international artist Annika Lindfors and regional artist Barbara Martin. We are proud to have these two artists in our gallery for the first time.
- Edward A. Dixon Gallery, lobby of 131 N. Ludlow St.: In their new location within the lobby of the Talbott Tower at 131 N. Ludlow St., find a collection of curated art from gallerist Edward A. Dixon, including discounted pieces. The gallery will be open until 6 p.m. and will also be open for Saturday’s Downtown Dayton Sidewalk Sale.
- First Friday at Front Street, 1001 E. Second St.: First Friday at Front Street provides Dayton with an evening rich in art, food trucks, community, and live entertainment by Scott Lindberg. Artists, curators, and craftsmen invite you to tour art studios, workshops, and gallery exhibitions. OCTOBER GALLERY EXHIBITIONS: The ARTery at Front Street; Dana L. Wiley GALLERY: "Into the Woods" Annika Lindfors & Barbara Martin; Divisible Projects: "Time Bandit" Thomas Condon; Dutoit Gallery; The Leopold Morgus Art Gallery; The Orphanage: "Spirit of Front Street" Group Show; The Can: "Excursions in Teddy's World" Dave Scott; and The Front Street Experience: Nicholas Dailey, 1st place 2020 Life in the City recipient. Find a full event listing here.
- The Neon movie theater, 130 E. Fifth St.: Click here for the latest offerings from downtown Dayton’s independent, art theater, featuring in-person and virtual viewing options: https://www.neonmovies.com/.
- Wiley’s Comedy Club, 101 Pine St.: Presenting The Most Offensive Show on Earth, featuring some of the country’s funniest comedians. As seen on Real TV, Travel Channel, Comedy Central and more! This is a show you don't want to miss!
- Varsity House, 31 S. St. Clair St: Special Deals : 10% off of the entire gallery, plus stop by to enjoy Live Entertainment with Rob Niro c/o BUILDABIRD INC. and a special menu from Choice Juice Boxx of Alkaline Refreshments and Light Vegan Dishes from Rubies Delights.
Dining and Drinks
- Local Cantina, 501 E. First St: For First Friday specials you’ll find $5 Mustache Ride Margaritas and $3 Draft pints from 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Table 33 Dayton, 130 W. Second St.: “Flight Night” is on the menu for First Friday with specials on a a flight of “slider burgers” (3 to a flight), a flight of beers (3 to a flight), and a flight of housemade milkshakes (3 to a flight). Enjoy these Flight Night specials on Friday from 5pm-8pm, along with our full regular menu of food, desserts and drinks.
- Winans Chocolates and Coffee, 221 N. Patterson Blvd: Enjoy a fall First Friday at Winans with a special offer of $8 glasses of wine (enjoy inside or on our patio) and buy one, get one half off of our lattes!
- Dayton Beer Company, Dayton Barrel Works Artisan Distillery, 324 E. Second St.: It’s the grand opening weekend for downtown’s newest cocktail and coffee bar, which is an extension of the Dayton Beer Company. The bar will feature signature cocktails with an emphasis on locally sourced ingredients and house-made syrups and bitters, and coffee from Audacity Coffee, based out of Kettering. Find more information on their website here.
- Luna Gifts and Botanicals, 261 Wayne Ave.: On First Friday at Luna Gifts and Botanicals customers receive double stamps on our loyalty stamp cards with each purchase.
- Now and Zen DIY Studio, 37 S. St. Clair St.: Now and Zen will be giving away gift bags (includes air plant, a misting bottle, and a gemstone) with purchase of any DIY Kit! And all succulents and air plants are buy 2, get 1 free! Also, post your purchase on Facebook or Instagram before you check out and tag Now and Zen DIY Studio, and get 10% off of your purchase.