UD, supported by The Contemporary Dayton, is seeking submissions for qualifications from artists to create work for UD’s new performing and visual arts center, The Roger Glass Center.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED: JULY 1, 2023
The University of Dayton (UD), supported by The Contemporary Dayton (The Co), is seeking submissions for qualifications from artists to create new large-scale 2D or 3D wall work OR submit existing work for UD’s new performing and visual arts center, The Roger Glass Center for the Arts. There are 4 locations identified for commissioned work.
This Call for Entry is a 2-phased process.
1. Applicants submit to a Request for Qualifications (RFQ).
2. The University of Dayton Selection Committee will select Semi-Finalists from the RFQs to move on to submit a final design. Semi-Finalists will receive a stipend of $500 to complete their final design.
Phase I: RFQ
• Artists must be at least 18 years old.
• Must live (or have lived) in the Dayton Area
• UD Faculty and Alumni are encouraged to apply.
• Artists must have documented experience
completing comparable projects on time and on budget.
• Artists must have 3 references (names and contact information required)
• Members of The Committee are ineligible to apply.
Final designs should consider one or more of the guiding principles listed below:
1. Cultivate inclusivity, advance diversity and equity across University of Dayton campus and the City of Dayton.
2. Highlight underrepresented populations: LGBTQ+, disabled, domestic diversity, specifically reflecting UD’s commitment to the Greater Dayton area and its recruitment priority, immigrant, and global majority.
3. Reflect the University’s commitment to the ideals of an anti-racist community and a University for the Common Good rooted in social justice, and the Catholic Marianist tradition of Faith, Service, & Community.
4. Understand, respect and honor historical context while envisioning the future of a just and equitable society on local and global levels.
5. Be innovative and thought provoking; thus, proposed works may include mediums not often considered for exhibition.
Final designs will meet the following criteria:
1. Work must be at a high level of craftsmanship, originality, and contemporary design.
2. 3D work must be structurally sound, safe, non-toxic and fit for its intended use.
3. 2D work must be designed and suited to hang on wall, drywall, or brick wall (i.e. Painting, drawing, photography, printmaking and most textiles).
All parties must agree to the following:
1. The Artist shall retain intellectual property rights
2. University of Dayton shall have the unconditional right to retain the proposal materials as part of the proposal commission. Full credit will be given to Artist if proposal is disseminated by print or digital means.
3. If utilizing the proposal for future RFQ and RFP background materials, the Artist shall give credit to the Project.
4. Proposed artwork must be original and unique to the Project.
How to Apply
To submit: please send via email to Cydnie King, Curatorial Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org.
REMINDER: THIS SHOULD NOT YET BE A FINAL PROPOSAL.
1. A Letter of Interest with the following
a. Name, Address, Phone, Email Address, and Website and/or social pages (optional)
b. Your interest in the project and your experience working on comparable projects.
2. A 1–2-page Concept Document (aka a mood or inspiration board rendered by hand and scanned as a jpg or
created digitally). The Concept Doc should be a visual collage of images, texts, fonts, colors, and textures imagined for the artwork and should reflect the overall intended design. Up to 3 Concept Docs may be submitted for each location. Applicants are encouraged to reference the Final Design Criteria in their Concept Doc.
3. 1-5 images of Artist’s past work which best relates to the project. Images should be attached to email as JPG, TIFF, or PSD files and saved with your last name and the image title (i.e. Smith_Title of Work.jpg). File size should be 1600 pixels on the longest edge and a resolution of 300 dpi.
4. Checklist of the images including title, year, media, and dimensions.
5. Résumé / CV
6. Three References and contact information
Dayton Local publishes events in the Greater Dayton region. If you have an event to promote, click here!