Hills and Dales, originally a gift from John Patterson, the founder of the NCR, is now one of Five Rivers MetroParks’ most popular destinations.
Hills and Dales MetroPark, located just south of Dayton on South Patterson Boulevard, was originally opened for use by National Cash Register Company (NCR) employees in 1907.
John H. Patterson enjoyed riding horses and fresh air and believed both were necessary for good health. Hills and Dales reflected this idea: its 294 acres of land offering several miles of horse bridle paths, three baseball diamonds, fully-equipped playgrounds, ten tennis courts, a polo field, a nine-hole golf course, wading pool, club houses for men and women and a dance pavilion.
Photo: John Henry Patterson Memorial
The city formally accepted Patterson’s donation during a celebration on June 9, 1918. Over 10,000 people gathered to watch as a procession of firemen, policemen, Red Cross workers, soldiers from Wright Field and members of several clubs paraded around the grounds.
Due to being injured from falling off his horse, John H. Patterson sent his daughter, Dorothy Patterson Judah, to present the park to the city. It was estimated that the land was worth over $1 million and more than doubled the acreage of land the city had previously for use as parks.